We are a people first community development company.
“Dedicated to working with Edmontonians in underserved neighbourhoods to co-create informed strategies for social and economic improvement.”
For decades, the establishment of a Community Development Company has been recognized as a critical tool for neighbourhood development in Edmonton.
The tools most often used by community development corporations to achieve their goals include residential and commercial development, business development, job training and neighbourhood beautification.
ECDC came into existence from the recommendation of the End Poverty Edmonton Road Map, approved by City Council in 2016. This milestone began an exciting journey toward making a real difference in our great city.
A carefully crafted proposal to establish ECDC was created by a steering committee of members from the following organizations:
ECDC’s vision is that neighbourhood residents and stakeholders collectively influence their community’s future to attain a quality of life that is socially and economically healthy, sustainable and attractive.
We strive to build community capacity to further economic and social development by fostering:
- Affordable and relevant housing
- Attractive local businesses
- Enhanced employment opportunities and
- Supportive social programs
- Community engagement that delivers results aligned with the community’s needs and priorities.
- Combating poverty at a neighbourhood level to benefit families and individuals
- Fostering effective, high-leverage partnerships
- Concentrating resources within a defined geographic area to achieve maximum impact